Several weeks ago I had an appointment with an endocrinologist, and had some blood work done. Today I got a bill for over $700 because my insurance says it’s not covered. This is the last straw. I give up. No more transition. No more me. It has been my pleasure to have gotten to know many of you, and I’ve made some friends who meant a great deal to me. You are all special people and you’ve inspired me along this journey, and I wish you all the best. I wish I had your strength and courage.
Rebecca
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

17 comments:
That is outrageous! Bunch of self serving thieves!
I took me forty years from my first attempt to finally break through, there is always hope.
Find a way to stay fit and healthy and do the little things which make you happy.
You are far more talented than many who are out there searching for employment, you will get back, don't stop trying.
You will be remembered here.
Caroline XXX
Oh girl. You know I will be there for you however I can be. I'm so sorry you had to go through this. =(
Like I said before, call me.
Listen to Caroline, Rebecca.... do not believe in 'never' just 'not now'; a terribly unfair setback that you can get through.
Until we meet again.
Halle
Don't give up, Rebecca. Try to find something that may be less expensive. My doctor's not an endo, but she works with trans patients. She has a sliding scale for cash payers and I pay around $120 every three months for blood tests, but it's not too bad all things considered. I'm able to get my Spiro and Finesteride through insurance and my E at Target for $10 every three months.
I didn't think I would be able to afford it. Don't give up hope. This is important for you.
xoxo
Rebecca, you have lots of friends who can help you through this. You have a child who needs you around. I have managed to make it work. You can too....for a while....until you get a job. You are a woman on the inside and will always me.
Do whatever it takes to support your child right now. You're still young. Get that job...and as dark as it seems right now, you WILL get that job.
HRT should not be your focus right now. Your child should be as well as your job hunt.
I behind you, Rebecca. This comment may be "tough love", but I would not take the time to write it if I didn't care about you.
Calie xxx
Just another example of why we need standardized insurance regulations in this country, that force them to treat everyone fairly and equally. You have a medically treatable condition, and they should be compelled to cover its treatment. You are no different than a post menopausal women taking HRT. It absolutely infuriates me the way our politicians let the insurance and pharmaceutical companies, lead us all around by a ring in our nose.
Hang in there, sweetie. Keep hope alive!
Melissa XX
Hi Rebecca,
I think you're going to find that it's not possible to give up, to have come so far and just go back to living life in a body you feel doesn't match who you are inside. The $700 blood work seems fairly absurd. Sure, if they suddenly told me that HRT was going to cost $500 a month, it would throw a major monkey wrench in what I'm doing, but it doesn't, even without insurance. And I have labs done every 3 months and I've never gotten a bill for $700. But I would go into deep debt if I had to. Transitioning is unlike anything else in life. If you truly can turn your back on it, perhaps you should question the rightness of it for you, but if you're anything like me, halting transition because of the cost is like deciding to stop breathing because oxygen is too expensive. Screw it. It's only money. Pay it off in installments. Put it in on a credit card. Whatever. I make only $500 a week, but I'm somehow able to afford HRT, visits to my GP and the gender clinic, laser hair removal, and weekly visits with a therapist. This is on top of child support payments, rent and all the other expenses one has. It's do-able. Think about it.
Hugs,
Dana
First off, avail yourself of the appeal process with the insurance company. The charge is grossly excessive, and should at least be reduced.
Second, these other ladies know a lot more about transitioning than me, but I agree that saying "no" isn't an option. Saying "later" is the concession to your current situation.
Lots of people love you, Rebecca. Now is the time to lean on them.
Love ya,
Leslie
As Leslie said above, lean on your friends, we are here to support you if nothing more than emotionally-and that's a lot really. There's lots of good advice in the above comments and I'll add one of my favorites, as Cleavon Little said in "Blazing Saddles": "Keep the faith..Baby!"
Hugs, Elly
I'm so sorry to hear this, Rebecca! Is there any way that a diagnosis could be attached to the tests? Insurance has to pay if a doctor tells them there is a medical reason for the tests.
I like what Caroline said. Take care of yourself, and don't give up. I hope that you can find work soon and change this whole picture.
Rebecca,
Please work with your endocrinologist's office and get this re-filed. The doctor's can use different codes in order to get this paid. No, it's not lying - it's just that the insurance company's computers demand certain codes in order for them to automatically approve it. One thing that I've learned, there are "workarounds" for everything on insurance coverage. You (and the physician's office) have to be willing to find the "holes" and take advantage of them.
I'm so sorry that this has happened to you, and along with your other bills, feel like that this is transition ending. Do not give up hope for eternity. If you need to, "put it off" until you're once again employed.
Don't forget about other resources, too, such as utility payment assistance. Don't let yourself become homeless without a fight.
I know that you normally don't talk about this, but I will be praying for you.
Elizabeth Marie
You're in my thoughts and prayers. Others have said what I would have, but I hope you know you are cared for.
One more thing, Rebecca. Several in our area have access to HRT via Planned Parenthood. You might look into that option if it is available where you live.
Calie
I just don't know what to say that hasn't already been said. 700 dollars is outrageous! I think I'd try finding a different endo. I wouldn't treat this as an end, just a delay. We're all here for you! I know it's hard not to get discouraged, but hang in there, okay?!?
Dani xxx
I'm so sorry to read this Rebecca. I know you've been under a lot of stress lately. I can't even imagine. Whatever you choose to do, I love you to death. You're one of the sweetest people I've ever met online. I do want to say though, that even though the endocrinology cost seems outrageous, that is only once a year, and you have already had it done. Who knows what next year will bring? Most of the medications themselves are fairly cheap.
Marie and Leslie make excellent points about the refiling and appeals too. It might not turn out to be as grim as you think. I know you have to be getting tired of so much red tape in every aspect of your life though.
You know I wish you all the best whichever path you choose.
Love,
Shannon
Hi Rebecca,
Thinking of you, keep expecting to see a new post.
I pray you are ok and can still find the hope and faith to continue.
I know how hard it can be and how devestating finacial problems can be.
Love
April
Hi Rebecca,
I don't have any wisdom, but I want you to know my heart goes out to you. Please don't give up on yourself. We care.
Love,
Karen
Post a Comment