Monday, November 29, 2010

Friendship

There’s an old saying about how you find out who your true friends are when things get bad, and I’m finding that to be very true. I've always felt like I was a good judge of character, but now I'm not so sure. I know three women here in Columbia who I considered to be close friends; one ended our friendship when I came out to her, and I haven’t heard from the other two in close to two months. I also have a close friend in California who I’ve known for ten years and who will always own a special place in my heart, but I haven’t heard from her in nearly three months. The ironic part is that all four of these women have lost their jobs at some point during our friendship, and I made a special effort to be there for them when they needed me, and to be as supportive as I could. I try not to let it bother me, but it does hurt. It makes me feel like I don’t matter enough for them to care. And I do realize that everyone has their own lives, and that I'm not much fun to be around these days, but it would have been really nice to have a friend who wanted to spend time with me, and to give me a hug and tell me it’s going to be okay. It makes me appreciate all the more how understanding and supportive all of you have been. I just feel really alone right now. All the people who matter the most to me, with the exception of my kids, live so far away. But it is what it is. Perhaps there’s a lesson to be learned here, but I’m not seeing it at the moment.

Today is my son’s 20th birthday, so I need to go decorate his cake.

5 comments:

A said...

You always have us.

Hugs,

April

Leslie Ann said...

Some folks are better at receiving support than giving it. Fair weather friends, I'd call them. That sucks.

A big hug from Kentucky, if that helps. I'm going to try to write to you soon. It's overdue.

Debra said...

Sad how people can be like that sometimes. *hugs*

Hope your son's bday goes well

Calie said...

But, as April said, you have us now. You don't need them.

Was that cake was chocolate?

Calie xxx

Rebecca said...

I couldn't ask for better friends than all of you. *hug*

It was a yellow cake and it was supposed to have chocolate frosting, but for some reason I grabbed buttercream instead and didn't realize it until I had the cake frosted and decorated. But he liked it anyway!