I haven’t posted much lately because there has been nothing positive going on in my life worth posting about and I’ve been trying get away from negative posts. As they say, if you have nothing good to say then it’s better to just say nothing at all. Hence all the pictures I’ve been posting recently. But I figured it was time for another update, regardless of how depressing it is. I’m still jobless. I continue to apply for jobs which I’m qualified for and which I have experience doing, but the interviews are few and few between. The interviews I have had went well, at least in my opinion, but still no job offers. I’ve been working with a career counselor at the university and she said my resume and cover letter looked great, and she’s given me some good advice about new directions to go with my job search. But here I am still without a job. I had a phone interview about two weeks ago which I thought went very well and I was sure I’d get called in for a face-to-face interview the following week, but the call never came, and that really shot down my last bit of optimism and self-confidence. I’ve now reached the point where foreclosure and bankruptcy are inevitable. I’m hoping to make it to next summer when my youngest son will have graduated and gone off to college. Then the implosion begins. My oldest son will be moving back home in the next week or two, along with his girlfriend, two dogs, and eight puppies. They’re doing it to help me out financially, and it means so much to me that they’re willing to do that. But I feel incredibly guilty about it because they’re sacrificing so much to do this and I know it won’t be easy for them. I’ve tried to talk them out of it, but they insist they want to do this. But last night they came over to drop off a few boxes and I could see how difficult this is for his girlfriend and it made me feel so bad. I feel like I’m causing so much stress for my family and am dragging them down with me, especially my youngest son. It breaks my heart seeing what this is doing to him, and I feel so guilty because I can’t seem to pull myself out of this and be stronger for him. I hate that I’ve caused my family so much pain. I know this is such a tired and worn out cliché, but I feel like everyone would be better off if I wasn’t around. I have long since ceased to be a productive member of society, and I’m failing miserably as a parent. The only way I have left to contribute now is to hold on to the house until my son graduates, so I guess it helps to have that as a goal to keep me going since I’ve given up hope that I’ll be able to get through this and recover. My transition is pretty much dead, along with any hope I had for a future. Without money and with my credit ruined I’ll have no hope of ever going past the point where I’m at now. I’m sinking deeper and deeper into depression with each passing day, and the medications and therapy aren’t helping much. I don’t think I’m so far gone that I can’t manage some level of objectivity and to look at my situation and be realistic about accessing it. After nearly seven months of applying for jobs I have no reason to be optimistic about getting hired anytime soon. I’ve worked hard for years to reach the point where I’d be financially able to make ends meet after my youngest son left home, and I was on track to do that, but not anymore. Add to that the car repairs, the water heater needing to be replaced, all the medical bills that my insurance didn’t pay, the damage to my roof, and all the other unplanned expenses I’ve had, and my finances are a wreck. Even if I were to get a job today which paid what I made at my last job I’d still lose the house next year. My credit will be ruined after foreclosure, which negatively impacts my chances of finding a job and a place to rent. The best case scenario would be living paycheck to paycheck in a cruddy apartment where I wouldn’t feel safe. And with my finances in such bad shape and my credit ruined I wouldn’t be able to afford any of the costs associated with transitioning. I see no way of recovering from this financially. I can’t see the depression getting any better under those circumstances. And I will not go back to living as a guy. I’m running out of options. I made a promise that I would not kill myself because I would never do that to my family, but to be honest, I’ve lost the will to live, so that means I’m stuck, again. It just shouldn’t be so difficult to live. All my energy goes to just surviving, which leaves no time to find any enjoyment out of life. I know there are no guarantees in life, but I don’t understand how it got to be this difficult. And I’m just so tired and worn out.
Sorry that this is so depressing to read. I really don’t have anyone I can talk with about all this, so this is the only place where I can let it all out. As always, I appreciate all the supportive comments.
Tomorrow I’ll post some pictures of the puppies that my son’s dog had. They’re real cuties!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

10 comments:
I saw your post on t-central and my heart goes out you Rebecca. What I want to share with you is something that my first therapist once said to me: "You never know how your life is going to affect others live". Hang in there girl-friend.
Hugs, Elly
Yeah, it might be depressing to read, but I wouldn't be reading it if I didn't care about you, Rebecca.
Sweetie, you are surrounded by a loving family. Cherish that.
You have on-line friends who care. Cherish that.
It will get better. I know you just can't see that right now, but it will get better.
Keep the faith, girl. I'll be praying for you.
Calie xxx
Dear Rebecca,
I was unemployed for the same amount of time when I was younger during an earlier recession and felt many of the same things. Less responsibilities I know but things did get better.
Thinking of you and praying for you.
Please don't let the dark thoughts win.
April
You are in a terrible situation, Rebecca. I think good thoughts for you everyday.
BUT...You are not to blame for being jobless. You did not bring this situation upon your family. You are getting by the best you can, and the people that love you know this. They see how hard you're trying. That's why your boy wants to help. He is demonstrating to you what a good parent you have been, as it would be much easier for him to turn and walk away. You were a good role model to him, and you have his respect.
A lot of crap has been heaped on you, but it was not your doing. Please don't blame yourself. Sometimes bad things happen to good people. And you are good people.
Much love,
Leslie
Dear Rebecca,
When all else fails, look to the Lord for guidance and support through prayer. I have been out of work for 14 months myself. It's not always easy but I have my Lord to lean on. Without him I don't know how I would be able to handle life. Please believe I pray for you every day and I will continue to do so.
Yours in the Lord,
Kaye
Hey girl!
Well while I do know it's hard for those of us reading to deal with the things you're going through because we can't really help in any way except try to consol you....I believe that blogging is about being "real" and that means not just blogging about the "good times". =) So props to you for putting your heart out there.
As one who has gone thru foreclosure and bankruptcy, you have my condolences but just know there is life after these things! *hugs* I hope things look up for you soon.
<3 Debra
Thinking of you and sending love your way!
Rebecca, I'm worried about you. You doing OK? No posts in a while.
Calie xxx
Rebecca, I'm worried about you too. Is everything alright? We all care about you AND your family. I'm still praying about a job for you. I haven't forgotten you. Please let us know how things are going.
Prayerfully,
Cynthia
I’m sorry to hear about what you’ve been through. I hope you’ve already sorted out that seemingly inevitable bankruptcy and foreclosure by now. Have you found alternative solutions since then? I trust everything worked out right for you. Stay positive!
Charlena Leonard @ Weidner Law
Post a Comment