Thursday, December 16, 2010

Another big step!

Today was another big day for me. Still basking in the glow from what happened yesterday, I decided it was time to face something I’ve been avoiding up to know. Malls have always made me nervous due to the large number of people, especially teenagers, so I have been reluctant to go there as Rebecca. So feeling really confident and relaxed, and having a sweater I hadn’t had a chance to wear yet, I decided this would be the day I conquered my fear of malls, although I did cheat a bit and went in the morning when the teenagers were in school. But I knew there would be lots of people there since we’re so close to Christmas, so that kind of makes up for no teenagers! I wore jeans, a nice cream colored cardigan, and a pair of clogs which I also hadn’t had a chance to wear. I also wore a scarf of various shades of brown, with a little red and black, which sort of pulled the whole outfit together. After putting on my makeup and putting my hair into a ponytail, I felt really good about how I looked, and off I went. After parking at the mall I’ll confess I sat in the car for a few minutes because I was nervous, but I finally got out and walked in. At first I busied myself intently looking at the clothes, avoiding people and eye contact, but I eventually relaxed and starting walking around the store, making eye contact and smiling. After a while I felt really comfortable and ventured out to other stores, and stopped worrying and just enjoyed the experience. I didn’t get any comments or funny looks, which was a big relief. After about 45 minutes I left the mall and went back to my car, intending to go home, but I was enjoying myself so much that I decided to head to Wal-Mart. I spent about 30 minutes there, and I wasn’t the least bit nervous or self-conscious, and it was another enjoyable experience. Now I’m back home, and I just can’t stop smiling. I can’t adequately express how liberating and wonderful it feels to lose that fear. I feel like this giant door just opened and I’m free to explore the world and just be myself. I can hardly wait to see what wondrous things tomorrow holds for me! The only downside is that it’s going to be even more difficult when I have to go back to presenting as a male, which was already tough enough. But I’m still me underneath those male clothes, and nothing can change that!

7 comments:

Caroline said...

Big smile here!

Caroline xxx

Elly said...

I know the feeling Rebecca, a very freeing experiance to go about with confidence. The last time for me went well until I saw my boss in Macy's (he didn't see or recognose me) but I recovered and went on to have a delightful lunch. Way to go girl!

Hugs, Elly

Calie said...

Hi Rebecca! I just caught up on a few of your posts and you seem to be doing much better, which is good to hear. I was happy to hear of your mall experience.

Your comment about going back to male presentation is sure something I can relate to. That's why I very rarely crossdress, and my crossdressing friends just don't understand that. While it is not the dressing that I desire, dressing is the catalyst that can bring on depression if I do it for any amount of time.

Again, I'm glad to hear you are doing OK.

Calie xxx

Amy K. said...

Yay!!! I'm so happy for you! I was smiling halfway through the post, and I'm still smiling. You go, girl! :)

Lori D said...

"I'm still ME underneath those male clothes..."

Now that's the woman I know! I'm so proud of you, Rebecca! No amount of clothing can change the person you are inside. These days make up for the bad ones when people say something stupid to get you down. Never let anyone bring you down sister!

Dani said...

Good for you, girl! There's nothing like a positive experience to build confidence, I'm happy for you! A major milestone passed!

Dani xxx

Debra said...

Awwww girl I'm so happy for you. Congratulations on such a big feat, conquering a huge fear. It gets easier every time. =) love ya!

<3 Jerica