Friday, July 15, 2011

Another day in the life

It’s nearly 1:00 on Friday afternoon and I still haven't heard back about the job. They said they would make a decision this week, so it appears I didn’t get it. I assumed they would let the four interviewees know whether or not they got the job, but I guess I was wrong. I’ll contact the guy who headed the search committee later this afternoon just so I know for sure. I supposed there could have been something that caused a delay in making their decision, but I kind of doubt it. I’m trying not to let myself get down about this, but it’s tough; I really thought I had a good shot at this one. I’m still hopeful about the Coordinator position with the LGBTQ Student Center, although my confidence is kind of shot at the moment. But on the bright side, since I didn’t get this job I think I’m going to visit my mom and sister in Oregon at the end of this month. Two years ago for Christmas my kids gave me a voucher to fly me out to see my sister, and I think now would be a good time since I definitely need a break and a change of scenery. The only issue would be my mother noticing the obvious changes that have taken place since the last time she saw me. I had decided not to tell her because she's had a very rough time lately dealing with her husband's deteriorating health. My sister thinks I should let her know about being transsexual ahead of time, but I'm more inclined to wait and see how things go when I'm there. I'm still thinking about it and I haven't made a definite decision yet. Oddly enough I'm not very worried about this; I guess all my stress is devoted to other areas.

3 comments:

Melissa said...

Trust your sister's judgment on your visit to your mom's (that's what sisters are for). You owe the courtesy of telling your mom about you, before your visit........at least if the changes in you would be shocking to her. Remember, you are used to seeing those changes, your mom isn't.

Melissa XX

Cynthia Jane said...

Dear Rebecca,

I continue to pray you get this job. I know how exasperating this whole job market thing is, but please keep the faith. You have a lot of us out here pulling very hard for you.

A change of scenery and seeing your mother and sister is probably just the right thing to do. At the very least you will have let your mother finally know. Bless you for trying so hard to do the right things.

Like Melissa said, give your sister's advice some careful consideration, she may have a better feel for how your mother will take everything. I will be praying about this over the next few weeks. Hope all goes well for all of you.

Many Hugs and Prayers,

Cynthia XX

Ps: Put some of your terrific photographic talents to work up there in beautiful Oregon while you are there.

Calie said...

I love Oregon. One of my favorite places. If you go out there, Rebecca, take some time to see the scenery. And, as Cynthia says, take some pictures.

I know I keep saying this, but a job will come your way, girl.

Calie xxx