Tuesday, April 17, 2012

I had told my mom about being transsexual three weeks ago, and it took her a while to get back to me about how she was feeling, which caused me to worry and imagine the worst. I wasn’t aware that she and her husband had more medical issues to deal with and were deciding whether or not to move from where they currently live. Once I knew about that I understood why she wasn’t getting back to me and I felt less anxious about the situation. We talked Sunday night and to my surprise, and relief, she was okay with everything. She was worried about not feeling comfortable calling me Rebecca, and little things like that, but as far as accepting the fact that I was transsexual she was very supportive and understanding. So we had a good talk and I think we both felt much better afterwards. She also asked for a picture, which kind of surprised me, so I sent her one that night and anxiously waited for her reply. She sent the following reply the next day:


Dear Rebecca,

WOW!!!!! You look awesome!!! You look so HAPPY! You are beautiful!!! After seeing your picture, I think I am not comfortable calling you (male name). I, too, feel good about our conversation. I simply CANNOT ever imagine not loving you or supporting your decisions.

I am soooo pleased that your co-workers have been so accepting and supportive and that you are involved in a support group. I sense you feel you are where and what you should be. And that is a very good thing. And I am beyond proud of you for how you handled your situation and hope you are optimistic about the future.

Love,

Rebecca's Mom


I was so moved by what she wrote and reading it was one of those special moments I’ll never forget. I’m still floating on cloud nine today! We’ve always had a very close relationship, but I never imagined she’d adjust to this so quickly. I’m very fortunate to have such a wonderful mom.

So, I’m officially out to everyone, which is like a weight being lifted off my shoulders. I don’t have to worry about saying the wrong thing to the wrong person or someone accidently finding out. I’m finally able to be myself around everyone!

4 comments:

Caroline said...

What a turn around, you do love to put us on a cliff edge and leave us to sweat.

The "you are beautiful" comment proves she has no problem with her eyes!

Samantha said...

Mums are awesome arent they! Im so glad that things worked out.

I hope that their medical thing is not too bad.

xoxoxox

Kristina Nicole Devereaux said...

Wow Rebecca, your mum is so awsome! I am so happy for you!

Huggz,
Kristina

Kay & Sarah said...

Wow, what a great Mum you have. That's so wonderful! Am so happy for you.