Tuesday night a read a letter from a friend’s blog where she said goodbye to her biologic parents who have not accepted her. It broke my heart to read that letter and to imagine how difficult it must have been for her to write. She had maintained hope that things would change for the past two years but just couldn’t do it anymore since her parents have shown no signs of accepting her. Thankfully she’s strong and has a good support system and an adopted mom, so I know she’ll be okay. It’s just so very sad that it reached the point where she gave up hope because her parents were so unwilling to accept her for the woman she is.
As a parent I just can’t imagine any scenario that would cause me to stop loving my kids; they will always have my unconditional love. There have been situations where their actions disappointed me or caused me to lose some respect for them, but my love never wavered. That special parent – child bond will always be there no matter what. Thankfully my kids feel the same way and my being transsexual has not been an issue at all.
Unfortunately I can’t say the same about my mom, who seems to be having a lot of trouble accepting the news that I’m transsexual. I was concerned that she’s gotten to be a lot more conservative as she’s gotten older, but I was sure that her love for me would overcome any objections she had about transsexuals. But it seems I was wrong about that, which really hurts. Everyone tells me to be patient and give her more time, but I just get the feeling that this is something that may not change with time. Normally we keep in touch through e-mail at least every other day, but since I told her a week ago we’ve only e-mailed twice on Monday, and both her replies were very short and curt, which is not like her at all. So, I don’t know what else to do except give her space and more time and wait until she’s ready to talk. It’s just really difficult and painful to know she’s having such a hard time accepting me for who I am. I never saw this coming.

2 comments:
Can you go and see her in person? Sometimes its better to do things face to face.
Whats the worst that could happen?
Unfortunately due to finances I can't afford to fly out there for the foreseeable future. I would have much preferred to do this in person, but that just wasn't an option. And at least in a letter I'm able to compose my thoughts, whereas if I told her in person I'd have been a nervous wreck.
Post a Comment