Wednesday, August 11, 2010

Words of wisdom from a friend

I have a friend that I chat with on-line most days. She is someone I met through her blog and we’ve gotten to be good friends, and she has grown to mean a great deal to me. She’s helped me through many highs and lows, and I’ve come to value her opinion and her willingness to share her own insights and experiences. I especially admire and respect her for the strength and courage and grace she has shown throughout her transition journey. She’s a beautiful woman not only on the outside, but on the inside where it matters most.

We were discussing some recent insensitive comments made about her at her work place, and I commented that it must be difficult for her to deal with that. She said no, and made the following comment:

“The happiness that comes with being a little closer to being able to open up and be myself far outweighs the discomfort that comes from the social stigma”

I just thought that was such a profound thing to say, and it really puts everything in perspective. That’s something I’ll always remember, especially when things get rough and I lose sight of the big picture. I hope she doesn’t mind if I used her comment, but I just thought it was worth sharing.

Rebecca

2 comments:

Caroline said...

She is quite correct!

We fear rejection but all I have found is warmth and understanding. Perhaps if I was bothering to pay attention there would be sad souls out there disparaging me, I pity them but don't even notice if they are there now, I am too busy being me.

Nice tomatoes, did not grow them this year and they are missed!

Caroline xxx

Kay & Sarah said...

Hi Rebecca, I found your blog from your post to Laura's post, Anyway just wanted to repeat what Caroline said. Keeping a positive and cheerful attitude has helped me make lots of new friends as I was transitioning, I am in my 60's and started later than you. My wife is amazed by all the people who remember me during those years I was shopping and trying to be Sarah. And as for those who won't accept us, it's their loss, you don't have any pull as to who you want to continue a friendship.

Just saying hello

Sarah, the trans Auntee