Wednesday, February 9, 2011

AARP, cookies, and the garbage truck

We finally started getting our mail delivered again, and one of the things that was in the big stack was a membership packet from AARP, so I guess that means I’m officially old now. I guess they’re trying to get me signed up early so I don’t miss out on any of the wonderful benefits. My son got a good laugh when he saw the membership card. I’m happy he finds my advanced age so entertaining!

I thought chocolate chip cookies sounded good tonight, so I made a batch using my favorite recipe, but I messed up something in the recipe and the cookies didn’t turn out very well. Sheesh, I can’t even have comfort food when I need it! Oh well. I saw a recipe on Yahoo for red velvet cake that looked interesting, so maybe I’ll make that tomorrow. How better to drown out your sorrows than baked goods!

We’re supposed to have our trash picked up tomorrow, but since out cul-de-sac still hasn’t been plowed I’ll be very surprised if it happens. It’s tough enough getting a car in and out, so there’s no way the garbage truck will make it. I’ll probably just haul it to the corner where it should get picked up.

Life is slowly starting to get back to normal around here. The kids are back in school and working hard to get caught back up. I was looking at the school calendar today and noticed that school is not in session this Friday because it’s a teacher work day, and then the following week school is out on Friday again and Monday is a holiday. Seems like those teacher work days could have been rescheduled to keep school in session to make up for all the snow days we’ve had lately. Feels like the kids have been out of school more often than they’ve been in school the past two months. When I was a kid we never had teacher work days and never had any days off other than legal holidays. I guess times have changed since then.

3 comments:

Melissa said...

I remember trudging trough knee deep snow to get to school in Indiana, back in 1960. Here in Virginia, one inch of snow will shutdown the entire school system!

I hope you are staying warm!

Melissa XX

Caroline said...

I have no memories of ever getting days off school, believe me I would remember any reprieve from that prison camp. Snow only slowed you down a bit not stop the world!

Perhaps we just tried a little harder back then.

Caroline xxx

Leslie Anne said...

OH yes!
Comfort food!

I am similar to you girlfriend! I love baking, and cooking, trying new recipes just for fun. Of course when it turns out good and I get rave reviews that makes me feel so proud of what I have done.

However, when a flop happens. I'm like, I'm never going back in that kitchen again! Same recipe, different result?

What?? Did I stir it the wrong direction?