After reading the reviews on T-Central about Almost Perfect I immediately put a hold on it at our library, but the book was on order so I wasn’t sure how long it would take to get here. It finally arrived and I picked it up Saturday afternoon, and except for a short break for dinner, I read the book straight through and finished it that night. I was emotionally drained after I finished reading it. It was a wonderful and amazing book which brought laughter and tears; mostly a whole lot of tears. It gave me hope and broke my heart. Words can’t describe the sadness and pain I felt when Sage told Logan she was de-transitioning, and thinking of her trying to live as a man was just heart-breaking. The letter at the end of the book that Sage wrote to Logan left me in tears, and the ending brought even more tears and a deep sense of sadness. I know the ending was realistic and that there isn’t always a happy ending and that life goes on. But I hated reading about Logan meeting another girl, and knowing Sage was all alone once again. I didn’t want the story to end, especially not like that. I hope that at some point Mr. Katcher decides to write a sequel, because in my heart it feels like it didn’t end the way it should have; the way I wanted it to end.
I am so very thankful that Brian Katcher decided to write this story. All I can say is that he got it right. He got it so, so right. The issues are handled with honesty and dignity, and he brings an amazing sense of depth and feeling to the characters and the journey they undertake together.
I don’t recall ever reading a novel where the setting was a place I was currently living. In some ways it almost seemed to make it more real for me, knowing all the places in Columbia where those scenes took place and being able to picture them so vividly. Even though I knew this was a novel, when Sage was beaten I felt such a sense of hurt, along with outrage and shame that someone from the school where I worked and graduated from could do such a horrific thing. But then with an even deeper sense sadness I realized that the unfortunate reality was the majority of students at Mizzou, or any other university, would probably have reacted in the same way. But books like this are an important step in the process of educating people so they understand that we aren’t freaks or perverts; that we’re just regular people wanting to live our lives in peace.
I love to read and have been an avid reader since I was a kid, but very few books have ever touched me as deeply as this one. It’s been almost two days since I finished it and I still can’t get it out of my mind. I so wish this book would be required reading in every school. And for that matter, required reading for everyone.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

3 comments:
You've given a fellow Tiger a warm fuzzy feeling. Thanks for the great review.
Rebecca I'm so glad you read it! I so completely loved it too although I was crying for days afterward.
I agree, it should be required reading in schools
I really need to read it, Rebecca, and I loved your review.
Calie xxx
Post a Comment