Thursday, May 10, 2012

Little adjustments


It’s funny how some of the more trivial aspects of daily life are the ones that get noticed so much while transitioning. It still takes me by surprise when a man holds a door open for me, or when I get smiles and greetings from strangers when I didn’t used to as a male. Little things like that bring a smile to my face and make me feel kind of special. I’ve been holding doors for everyone else for so long that it’s a tough getting used to doors being held for me, but I think I’ll learn to adjust!

2 comments:

Michelle Leanne said...

I know exactly how you feel. I have had the same thing happening to me even with women. As I walked up to Barnes and Noble the other day, an older woman was also approaching the door just a step behind me. I stepped aside and held the door and she was very appreciative and then said that she hold the next door for me. I was just another woman walking in the store with her. It was a very unique feeling and it is getting much easier to simply accept it as the norm.

Calie said...

When I helped the other Rebecca through her transition, I had to keep reminding her to let ME hold the door open. You're right. It's the little things.

I'm glad things are working out for you.

Calie xxx