I occasionally wonder what it would be like to live a “normal”
life without having had to deal with all the gender issues throughout my entire
life. How would my life have been different? What kind of person would I be? I
know it’s frivolous to ponder such questions, but it’s difficult not to
sometimes. And I will admit that I think more often about how my life would be
different had I transitioned at a younger age than I do about not having gender
issues. I think it’s harder to imagine a life without gender issues because I
have no frame of reference for that; I simply can’t imagine what that would be
like. It would be like imagining I’m someone totally different because the
gender stuff is such a large part of who I am. It’s like the question about
what you’d do if there were a pill that would get rid of the gender dysphoria
and let you live a “normal” life. In a way it’s kind of scary to think about
that because it would be so foreign and outside of my comfort zone. And I can’t
see how suddenly getting rid of the dysphoria would really change much. It
would be like tearing down a house and rebuilding a new one, but leaving the
same foundation. My life was built upon knowing I was transgendered and
learning to live with that and adapting to it. Besides, I can’t imagine going
back to a male life at this point even if that were an option. For better or
worse, this is the person I am, and all things considered I’m happy with who I
am and where I am in life.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment